Dunkle Loan Fund This fund also went through a number of incarnations after it was authorized in 1915.
According to The First Fifty Years, “The scholarship fund, which should serve as an incentive to intellectual attainment, and a reward for it, had long been contemplated, and was the cherished ambition of the Council.”
Gradually it was used more and more to benefit members in need, so the name was adapted from scholarship to loan fund;
in 1935 it was renamed in honor of the member who started the fund and served as its treasurer until her death, Estelle McFarlane Dunkle.
For the first years of its existence, the fund was supported by proceeds from a number of different dues and income avenues.
But in 1933, this was simplified and $1.50 from each national pledge fee was contributed to the fund—allowing it to grow by 1935 to $33,000.
Other specific funds established to support Fraternity needs included the Mary Emma Griffith Marshall Memorial Fellowship Fund,
and funds for areas such as Scholarships for Children, The Lyre, and conventions.
In 1921, the Fraternity’s financial standing was described as excellent and was attributed to careful management of the national officers.
Although National President Gladys Livingston Graff described the Fraternity’s finances in need of a little “fattening,”
the overall financial condition at the time was solid.
The Reserve Fund was growing—it was maintained by per capita dues, alumnae notes, installation proceeds and life subscriptions to The Lyre.
In 1922, a campaign was begun to raise an endowment of $100,000 by the Fraternity’s fiftieth anniversary in 1935.
Each alumnae chapter contributed $50 and each alumnae club $25 annually until 1935.
(In 1930 the Convention ruled that clubs of fewer than 12 members would instead be assessed $2.00 per capita.)
The stresses of the Great Depression made fulfillment of this goal very difficult, and adjustments had to be made to the established per capita fees.
The alumnae chapters and clubs were excused of this obligation. In 1931-1932, the Fraternity attained the goal of the endowment.
The growing chapter roll necessitated a new approach to funding chapter installations.
In 1922, the determination was made that all chapter installations should be self-supporting,
with specified fees added to make this a reality and covering expenses such as the chapter charter and equipment.
For more information: หวยฮานอยพิเศษ